Friday 24 April 2015

Population Issues

In response to a request to support the Population Matters manifesto. I have responded as follows:-

Dear Elector
Thank you for your email. This is not a matter I have met on the door step but I am pleased to have received your comments and concerns.

Of course I share them.
I am well aware that England is now more heavily populated than The Netherlands. I might just see my time out in a relatively acceptable way, but what about my son (aged 15) and his children?

I have read through your manifesto and frankly, I cannot find anything which is contrary to UKIP policy or views.

Promoted, published & printed by Paul Rogan on behalf of himself & Calderdale Branch  UKIP,
both at 363 Stainland Rd, Stainland, HX4 9HF.

The full text from Population Matters is as follows:-

As a voter in your constituency, I am asking you to promote and/or support action to slow and ultimately reverse UK and global population growth.
I am among the 1 in 5 women of my generation who did not have children. After graduation I spent my career in public service and have recently seen my circumstances devastated by redundandy and redeployment on a salary lower than I earned last century.

Britain, particularly England, is already one of Europe’s more densely-populated countries and the Office for National Statistics projects that the UK population will increase by between four million and 20 million by 2050.

Among the consequences of population growth are rising living costs, increased national debt and tensions and declining green space, employment opportunities and quality of life. Population growth means we need ever more housing, power and water infrastructure, transport facilities, hospitals and schools. This comes at a huge cost; meanwhile, our ecosystems and landscape are negatively affected.

Recent polls have shown that 80 per cent of voters are concerned about our population size and would prefer it to be smaller. Population Matters chief executive Simon Ross has said, “The ever-increasing size of the UK population is increasing our cost of living and reducing our quality of life. Population growth is damaging both the environment and national security.”

I ask you to support these policies:
1. Make sex and relationships education statutory;
2. Make reducing unplanned pregnancy at all ages a goal;
3. Limit child-related payments or tax reliefs to the first two children per household for children conceived after the policy comes into force, while ensuring that children are protected from poverty;
4. Promote the benefits of small families;
5. Prevent net migration from fuelling national population growth; and
6. Increase the proportion of foreign aid spent on family planning services and women’s empowerment.
These policies are detailed in Population Matters' manifesto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home